Most comments, distributed regarding this topic, both pros and cons, are too harsh and biased. As usually, the truth is in the "golden middle" – there is some benefit, but generally not too high, and not for everyone.
The honest authors admit that the rusty-brown color is from the decay of the iron electrode, and that only nuances of the color are possible, depending on the patient's condition.
Several facts were determined, as follows:
– Ion-detox systems are started initially as a clinical development, in search for more successful treatment of cancer. The idea is to make a water bath, rich of negative ions; in the beginning - for the whole body. Through the skin pores and Ion-channels in the cell-membranes, they will attract and suck out of the body the "unhealthy" positive ions. As a very cheep and easy to produce option, the iron oxide (rust) ions in the water are used. They are negative, strongly oxidizing - (FeO4)2−.
However rust ions are very active chemically and quickly react, or make complexes with the water molecules and hydroxyl ions - [Fe(H2O)6]3+, [Fe(H2O)5(OH)]2+, which quickly reduces the "-" ions' quantity. There are also metal, compound, and other ions, which are strongly "+", so the entire effectiveness is not high.
– Another good side is that most other ions in the water excite various ion fluxes inside the body, which stimulate many organs and processes. Similar good effect appears from the small electric voltages around the array in the water.
– The main electric current is only inside the iron array, in order to decay it to rust. This is the reason of the rusty-brown color of the water – there is no rust in the human body! The wrist electrode is polarizing - it must be slightly positive, to stimulate the stream of the "ill" "+" ions from the body to the basin. There are wrong claims for it, like sensing patient presence.
– A bad side is that with such high concentration, most of these heavy ions penetrate trough the pores and harm the body. Including the possibility of severe allergic reactions.
– Although not so high, the main and universal benefit is increasing the alkalinity of tissues and entire body, but it should be only until the optimum is reached. There are many cases of reducing metals and other toxic substances, but it is not so important to know the change or existence of particular elements or compounds in the water. And this can not be the only prove or disprove of the usefulness. Bio-chemistry still does not know enough how harmful or useful a number of elements and compounds are. Besides many of them can be either harmful, useful or neutral, depending on the particular patient, his condition, and many other factors.
– All these iron and other compounds can give various coloration of the water, depending on the composition of the electrode, minerals and other stuff in the water, and physical and mental condition of the patient. This explains the color nuances of the rusty water.
– Due to this low efficiency, and because of the strong pressure from the commercialized mainstream cancer "treatment", this research is abandoned. In reduced form, as foot-bath only, it became popular, because it's cheap and easy to use from everyone, including at home.
Based on all these, the new type instrument ELPID is designed in a quite different way. It uses only the noble hydroxyl ions (OH-), which are strongly "-", but not chemically active, completely harmless. To be still more effective, 2 flat electrodes (with suitable safe voltage), establish a flux of these OH- ions around the feet/hands. To further accelerate the healing, electric pulses with ultra low, body compliant frequency, are added. More details.
Briefly summarized, ELPID has much higher effectiveness by design, avoiding adverse effects! More over it is cheaper to use, because its electrodes are changed very rarely; Much better looking, as the water is clear all the time; And it is much smaller and lighter!